GW Resiliency & Well-being Center Speakers Bureau
Request an expert wellness speaker to meet with your team from the GW Resiliency & Well-being Center Speakers Bureau. Available topics currently include general, emotional, physical, and institutional wellness.
Live Mindfulness Practice
Self-Paced Wellness & Resilience Resources
- 21 Microdoses of Mindfulness
Free 21-day mindfulness program with simple, easy, quick, and practical tools to help clinicians, allied health professionals, and all those on the frontlines stay centered and effectively manage increased stress. Everyone can participate, without restrictions.
- Text the word "mindful" to 64722
- Complete an initial sign-up, and you will receive daily dose of mindfulness tips and a weekly webinar as a daily text or in your email.
- American College of Lifestyle Medicine
Resource to share with your patients, that can also benefit us: Lifestyle choices to boost immunity. CoVid-19 Resources
- Center for Mindbody Medicine Webinar: ”Only Connect”
Dr. James Gordon, CMBM Founder and Executive Director
Feeling lonely while social distancing? Social support – other people – is a universally acknowledged, essential part of trauma healing, and of a health promoting response to the coronavirus pandemic. This webinar will explore a variety of ways to transform painful, health-diminishing loneliness into the life-affirming, health-promoting aloneness that makes it so much easier to make healing connections with other people.
- COVID Calm Clinics
Bitesize stress management for health care professionals. Easy-to-access, quick mindfulness stress-busters and confidential discussion. No, it won't take away the flood of patients, but in a few minutes you will be noticeably calmer, reduce the stress you bring home, and may well sleep better after your shift.
COVID Calm Clinics are FREE to all, one click to Zoom, no booking needed, and stay as long at you like (even 5min will be useful). Evidence-based practical techniques that you can take away and use whenever you like, and a chance to connect with other professionals around the world who know what you’re going through.
Free to the unemployed. Get free, limited access to HeadSpace.
- How to Keep Children's Stress from Turning to Trauma
- Sounds True: Resilience in Challenging Times: A care package for the Sounds True community
In response to the growing uncertainty and heightened stress during this unprecedented time, we have created this special digital care package to help you navigate the coming days with mindfulness, compassion, and presence. Please share and enjoy these free Sounds True resources—we can all use some support!
- Medical Society of DC Resources for Physician Well-Being During COVID-19
MSDC offers public and Society-specific resources - personal, professional, financial, and family-oriented - to all physicians to help them take care of themselves during the crisis.
Among the available resources: MSDC Physician Health Committee Chair Charles Samenow, MD's webinar on April 29 to discuss mental well-being during the COVID-19 public health emergency.
- NPR Life Kit
Anxious thoughts? 5 Tips to Help You Sleep - podcast.
- New York Times
- Wellness Toolkit
Toolkit to support your emotional, physical, social wellness during this time, whether you are on the front lines, supporting remotely, or in a role that is evolving during the pandemic. Download the "Resources to Maintain Your Wellness" toolkit.
- Wellness Toolkit for Supervisors
Toolkit designed specifically for leaders, to help you best support the members of your team – and yourselves – during this response. Download the "Workplace Wellness During COVID-19: As a Supervisor, What Can I Do?" toolkit.
- Yale University Course
Yale University offers a free online course through Coursera on "The Science of Well-Being".
Ziva is a meditation and mindfulness platform, with mission to give you the tools to perform at the top of your game. Currently, Ziva is free to healthcare professionals, and 50% off for everyone.
- Discounts and Freebies for Healthcare Workers
- DIY Dumbell Weights for Your Home Workout
- Four Directions Wellness Self-Care Reiki Trainings
Enjoy a complimentary one-hour Reiki Training class through Four Directions Wellness.
- Equinox Free Daily Resource - Move / Eat / De-Stress / Connect
Exciting news from our partners at Equinox! We are one of six organizations nation-wide with access to their new Daily Check-In.
This resource is free on an on-going basis to all members of the GW healthcare enterprise:
- Open the link below (in any browser but Internet Explorer).
- At the bottom of the page, sign up for new, original content delivered to your inbox daily in each of four areas: movement, dietary habits, "de-stress" articles and videos, and daily live meditations.
- Financial Resources & Support from The George Washington University Global Financial Literacy Excellence Center
No matter your circumstances, GWU GFLEC has compiled excellent resources and support to help you manage your personal finances during the COVID-19 pandemic.
As we are all experiencing firsthand, the spread of COVID-19 has changed the global landscape, affecting our financial, professional, and social environments. The sudden disruptions caused by this public health crisis are presenting economic challenges with growing repercussions. While some factors affecting financial well-being are beyond individual control, financial knowledge can help people better manage their finances through times of hardship and times of prosperity. On this page, GFLEC offers suggestions and resources to manage our personal finances and buffer ourselves against the financial emergency caused by COVID-19.
- PPE Portraits from The Human Element Project
Designed to help you connect with your patients while you are wearing PPE! PPE Portraits are laminated 3.5”x5” portraits that can clip onto your personal protective equipment. The PPE Portrait Project is designed to help your patients connect to the face behind the mask. They are also available in disposable peel-off stickers.
- Take a selfie (vertical orientation, and not too close) that depicts you as you would like your patients to see you.
- Send your photo to LoriShocket@yahoo.com(link sends e-mail) with the words “PPE Portrait” in the subject line.
- Include your name and title as you would like them to appear on your portrait, and your full mailing address. Please indicate if you are part of a group order (this is encouraged to save The Human Element on the cost of mailing).
The Selfie Mask: Smiles to the Fore!
Use our Selfie-mask image generator to allow for a better wrap-around mask effect!
The best thing about all the masks people are wearing is that it saves our lives. The worst thing is that we can't see smiles anymore! The Selfie Mask solves this problem by taking your smile from in back of the mask to the fore! You can help us get this mask idea trending on your favorite social media app by giving us a public mention, using our #Smiles2the4 hashtag.
- UC Berkeley’s “Greater Good”
Practices, resources, and articles for individuals, parents, and educators facing COVID-19. Get the "Greater Good’s Guide to Well-Being During Coronavirus".
To Keep You, Your Family, and Your Community On-Track and Safe
- Alternative Lodging Accommodations
The GW Medical Enterprise has been working with a number of local hotels to offer discounted room rates. If you would prefer to stay close to the hospital/medical enterprise or if you have a loved one who may be more vulnerable to the effects of COVID-19 exposure, taking advantage of these reduced rates may be a good option for you. For more information, please call the GW Hospital Command Center at 202-715-4242 or view the Discounted Lodging for GW Hospital worksheet.
Bright Horizons Childcare, located at 2101 L Street NW, is offering free childcare for healthcare workers. They will care for infants (6 weeks) to children age 5 years old and younger. Currently, 40 slots are available on a first come, first served basis. If there is a demand for more slots, more slots will open at other area locations for Bright Horizons.
To inquire about care, email: email@example.com(link sends e-mail).
- GW Teleworking Guidance
Beginning Monday, March 16, 2020, in an effort to promote social distancing, GW is requiring that all non-student employees whose jobs can be performed remotely to telework. GW hosted a Q&A on Friday, March 16th. Read more on GW Teleworking Guidance.
To Keep You, Your Family, and Your Community On-Track and Safe
- Fitness Blender
This free exercise website was recommended by a wellness coach at Mayo Clinic's Dan Abraham Healthy Living Center. Check out Fitness Blender today!
- Getting Kids to Move More
- Live-stream Studio and Gym Workouts
Good Housekeeping has compiled a list of free studio workouts available during COVID-19. Get more than 25 gym and studio quality classes for free.
- NIH Livestream Demonstration: More Stretching, Less Stressing | NCCIH
During this time of social distancing and working from home, it is important to incorporate movement exercise into your daily routine. Pulling in part from her own research on connective tissue, Dr. Helene Langevin, NCCIH director, will discuss the benefits of stretching and walk through some simple examples you can do at home.
- Sweat and Social Distance
This is created by Kelley Vargo, who teaches at GW and works as staff at GW in School of Public Health. In response to the COVID-19, SWEAT & SOCIAL DISTANCE was born. A worldwide place to work out, connect, share, grow, and improve health - one virtual workout, video, conversation, connection at a time - connecting us all while being socially distant.
- Working Out at Home Without Annoying Your Neighbors
- Yoga For Resilience
Our physical, psychological and spiritual well-being are intrinsically connected. You can expect a supportive environment in which to learn in Yoga for Resilience practice.
More Ways to Support Our Community
If You Are Unable to be on the Front Lines
- Amplify request donations of PPE
Support Amplify's existing supplies which will be shared between the GW Hospital and Medical Faculty Associates.
Call 202-715-4559 or email COVIDdonations@gwu-hospital.com(link sends e-mail).
- Be a Sitter
- Volunteer Opportunities through GW School of Public Health
A number of volunteer opportunities available to support the COVID-19 response. Volunteer with SPH today!
- Physician Support Line
8am to 12am Daily. Free, confidential peer support telehealth line by volunteer psychiatrists for US physician colleagues during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Resources for You and Your Family
Whether you need a mental health provider, assistance with navigating child care, or anything in between. All requests are free and confidential.
- All Students: Colonial Health Center
- All GW University Employees: Wellbeing Hotline
- All GW MFA Employees: MFA Employee Assistance Program
- All GW Hospital Employees: GW Hospital Employee Assistance Program
- All Healthcare Workers: DC Physician Health Program
Timely intervention and referral for healthcare workers in distress.
Contact: Steve Carreras, PhD, MSW, Clinical Case Manager at 256-673-2747
- Physician Coaching through Medical Society of DC
Free, one-time 45 minute coaching session with Dr. Dena George.